Thursday 14 April 2011

Pretty Please With Sugar On Top?

Technically this isn't about waitressing per se, but it happened at work so that's close enough I think. The other night I'd just signed off, made my drink (gin and tonic) and was heading outside, cigarette already rolled, to shoot the shit with another waitress who'd finished around the same time. For the sake of anonymity we'll call this waitress Bettie (she had a penchant for pin-up style makeup). We (Bettie, her fiancé and I) were outside when a guy stumbled up to us from the bus stop, "'Scuse me miss, can I aks [sic] for a smoke?". Bettie looked at him, eyed him up and down and replied with "What's the magic word?". He looked perplexed, mumbled something about it not mattering and walked away again.
I mentioned something about being tired by the number of people constantly asking me for a smoke or a dollar (I do give people change, just not the guy who asks "Dollar for da bus?" every day on my way to work when I know it's going straight into the strip club pokie machines. I used to serve him drinks.) Bettie batted her eyelids and said "Well, darling, what did he expect? I'm a preschool teacher during the day, there's no way anyone's getting anything out of me without saying please. Besides, I looked and his shoes probably cost more than my rent."

No comments:

Post a Comment