Sunday 15 May 2011

The Stupidest Question I Have Ever Heard

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I took a weekend off to go camping (which was wonderful; it had everything camping needs to be good; tents, cows, excessive consumption of alcohol, nudity, upside-down tequila  shots...). Anyway, I'm back now and a stupid question last night made me remember this one.

It was last Valentine's Day which happened to fall on a Monday. We were completely booked and I was recently single and therefore bitter. We had lots of couples, as one would assume, but one particular twosome stands out. They were sitting at table ten later on in the evening (around 9ish). She was drinking Cosmopolitans, he'd been on beer. I went over to ask if they wanted another drink. She ordered another Cosmo (not without looking at him first to check she was allowed another drink. I hate when couples do that, if you want another drink then fucking well have one). He turned to me and asked "what vodkas do you guys have here?" I rattled off the list, house pour is 42below, we have all the flavours as well. We also carry the Absolut and Finlandia ranges as well as Imperia and Zubrowka. He considered for a moment and asked what whiskies we had. I got him a list, as the whiskies are extensive and I can't be arsed memorizing them. He settled on a 15-year-old Glenfiddich. My query as to how he wanted it was met with a black stare. "I mean, would you like it neat or on ice?" I clarified. And that was when it happened, the stupidest question that I have ever heard. "What kind of ice have you guys got here?". The realization hit him instantly, it showed in his face, much as I imagine my incredulity showed in mine. So I gave him the only answer I could think of, other than laughing;
"The kind that comes frozen and vaguely square-shaped."

No comments:

Post a Comment